This year has not been a great year for legends of the jazz, soundtrack and retro-futuristic worlds. The latest loss to planet Earth is Sir George Shearing who sadly left us on 14 February.
We at the Moonbase are big fans of the sound of latin jazz and Sir George was one of the greatest practitioners of the art. His quintet also featured two of our other favourite musicians, namely Baron Jean "Toots" Thielemans (harmonica, guitar, whistling) and Cal Tjader (vibes). So on this week's bumper edition of the show we pay tribute to Sir George by hearing music by the great man himself as well as music by Toots and Cal.
We also have a couple of tracks from the latest release by Jon Brooks (aka The Advisory Circle), more jazz flute, some humouristique Belgian pop from Dim Dim and we peak far too early by starting the show with an extraordinary slice of Classic Steel.
As well as the music, MC Zirconium tells us this week that making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries sure would help a lot. Wouldn't you like to get away? Sometimes you want to get away. Where everybody knows your name - and we know your name and where you live.
UPDATE: This episode is featured in Tom Robinson's pickofthepods.
The Unnecessary News
- A German Bill to Protect Kids' Right to Make Noise
- We have a message for Phil Campbell. There's a Phil Campbell Convention, in the Town Phil Campbell.
- Just say no ... to robot marriage
- Mars landing simulated in mock astronaut mission
- Darth Vader + Justin Bieber = The ultimate Sith superweapon?
- RoboCop statue in Detroit gets $50,000 funding