- Pirate Bay guilty verdict
- Swedish Pirate Party membership surges after Pirate Bay verdict
- New NASA node name not Colbert and here
- Japanese scientists working on odour-free space pants
- Moral flap of the week: "Brain scientists" claim that Twitter is bad for your mental health - and morality!
- Lego launching range of electronic gadgets for kids
- Woody Harrelson mistakes photographer for zombie and attacks him
- Turn your mobile phone into a microscope with this unobtrusive add-on
- Opening of world's first cloud viewing platform marred by good weather
- TV theme tunes are more popular at funerals than hymns
- Gorilla-viewing glasses prevent eye-contact
- Saudis ban "offensive" car number plates such as those containing "USA"
- Quietly sedate your kids with nitrous oxide while they play video games using the inconspicuous "PediSedate"
- Jedi Police: 8 Strathclyde police officers are Jedis and here
Sunday, 19 April 2009
Playlist, 19 April 2009
The Show On tonight's show: we finally got round to celebrating the life of recently departed giant of film soundtrack composition, Maurice Jarre, we played a couple of tracks from the recently released Switched-on Bob, more music from the forthcoming Emperor Machine album, Ethiopian space-jazz courtesy of Mulatu Astatke & The Heliocentrics and lots more besides. The Music We opened the show with a couple of tracks supplied by our charity shop digger-on-chief Fuz: 1. Billy May - St Joe Mo 2. Duncan Lamont - Eruption Following news of space pants (see below): 3. The Brass Menagerie - Hot Pants (Brass Menagerie 1973, 1973) Then it was time for the first of two tracks from a great new collaboration between the master of Ethio-Jazz and vibraphonist, Mulatu Astatke, and London nonet The Heliocentrics: 4. Mulatu Astatke & The Heliocentrics - Cha Cha (Inspiration Information 3, 2009) 5. Cal Tjader - Philadelphia Mambo (Black Orchid, 1956) A new release from one of our followers on Twitter: 6. P.T. Walkley - The Lucky Ones (Mr. Macy Wakes Alone, 2009) 7. Mel Torme - Bonnie & Clyde (The Music Goes Round, 1968) Following the story about Woody Harrelson -v- Zombies (see below) we took the opportunity to play the first of two tracks from a great new compilation of Mooginess: 8. Messer Chups - Zombie in Mini Skirt (Switched ON BOB A Tribute To Bob Moog, 2009) Then it was time for the first of our tributes to the recently departed Maurice Jarre with a track from the second movie he scored back in 1959: 9. Maurice Jarre - Les yeux sans visage (Ma période française, 1959/2006) 10. Dick Hyman - The Shadow Of Your Smile (Happening!, 1966) We are delighted to have a preview copy of the new Emperor Machine album and played: 11. The Emperor Machine - Silvercape (Space Beyond the Egg, 2009) Time for more Maurice Jarre: 12. Jack Marshall and Shelly Manne - Lawrence of Arabia (Sounds!) And another track from Switched-on Bob: 13. Grand David - Herpex Delux (Switched ON BOB A Tribute To Bob Moog, 2009) Following the news about Strathclyde police officers going all Jedi (see below): 14. Mark Shakespeare - Star Wars Second track from the new collaboration between Mulatu Astatke and The Heliocentrics: 15. Mulatu Astatke & The Heliocentrics - Fire In the Zoo (Inspiration Information 3, 2009) And we closed the show with our third and final piece of Maurice Jarre - on sitar! 16. Balsara and His Singing Sitars - Lara's Theme (Golden Hits) The News